Aftercare for Tongue Piercing
REALLY IMPORTANT TO LOOK AFTER YOUR TONGUE PIERCING PROPERLY TO MINIMISE THE RISK OF INFECTION. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO THAT.
- Enzymes present in saliva in the mouth help to fight tongue piercing infections but you still need to rinse your mouth with saline solution (or a low alcohol antiseptic mouthwash) twice a day and after eating. You can make your own saline solution by mixing a litre of boiled water with a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Avoid fatiguing your tongue for the first couple of days by trying not to talk too much.
- Eating solid food may be fine straight after you have your tongue pierced or it may be uncomfortable initially so try soft foods like soup and yogurt for the
fi rstfew days.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol for at least 3 weeks. Do not engage in any kissing or oral sex for at least 3 weeks after having your tongue pierced.
- Because your first tongue barbell needs to
be longto allow for initial swelling, you will need to bring this information sheet back to us after 2 to 3 weeks so we can provide you with the correct-sized piece of jewellery for you after the swelling has gone down.
- Don’t take your jewellery out for cleaning while you are still healing. If you
doexperience any prolonged or intense irritation, get an appointment with your GP.
Healing times are different for everyone and can depend on factors such as diet, lifestyle and stress. If you