Aftercare for Lip/Cheek Piercing
USING THE RIGHT AFTERCARE FOR YOUR LIP/CHEEK PIERCING IS VERY IMPORTANT SO PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO HELP MINIMISE THE RISK OF INFECTION.
- You can help prevent infection in your piercing by rinsing your mouth twice a day and after eating with a saline solution or low alcohol antiseptic mouthwash. Clean the external hole with saline solution twice a day, you can make this yourself by mixing a litre of boiled water and a teaspoon of unbleached sea salt.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol for at least 3 weeks.
- Don’t engage in any kissing or oral sex for at least 3 weeks after the piercing.
- Stop yourself picking at any scabs that form as they prevent bacteria from entering the body and causing infection. Picking them will also cause unnecessary bleeding so it is best to wait for them to fall away naturally.
- Because we pierce you with a long labret stud to allow for initially swelling, you will need to come back to us after 6 weeks with this information sheet and we will provide you with the correct-sized piece of jewellery for your lip.
- Don’t take the jewellery out to clean it during the healing process. If you
doexperience any prolonged or major irritation, consult your GP.
- Avoid swimming, hot tubs and jacuzzis for at least 6 weeks.
- Refrain from sunbathing or using sunbeds for at least 6 months after your piercing.
For all piercings, healing times vary between individuals