Aftercare for Body Piercing
LOOKING AFTER YOUR BODY PIERCING IS VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU WANT TO MINIMISE THE CHANCES OF INFECTION. THE FOLLOWING TIPS SHOULD HELP YOU REDUCE THAT RISK
- Remove the dressing after 4 to 6 hours if appropriate.
- Avoid touching the area at all on the first day after you have had it pierced.
- Clean the entrance holes twice a day for at least 4 months with saline solution. You can either buy at lighthouse, a chemist or make your own using a litre of boiled water and a teaspoon of unbleached sea salt.
- Don’t pick the scabs. It’s tempting but it can cause unnecessary bleeding and increase the risk of infections which scabs prevent by stopping the entry of bacteria. Just wait for them to fall off by themselves.
- Do not remove any part of the jewellery to clean while you are still healing. Consult your GP if any prolonged or major irritation occurs.
- Leave the jewellery in for at least 4 months without changing it (6 months for ear cartilage). Avoid any organic or porous jewellery for at least 8 months.
- Avoid jacuzzis, hot tubs and swimming for at least 6 weeks.
- Don’t use sunbeds or sunbathe for a least 6 months.
Different factors such as diet, lifestyle and stress can affect healing times so they vary